What is rasam ?
Rasam is a spicy, tangy, filled with flavors, soup-like South Indian dish. It is a common dish in South Indian households and is made combining tamarind, various herbs & spices, and tomato. The spices contain pepper, tangy tamarind that will help you with the cold. Most likely, the term “rasam” comes from “ras” or “rasa,” which refers to extract, or essence. There are 2 types of rasam dishes, tamarind rasam and the other one is similar to tamarind, which is a Tomato Rasam recipe. The quantity of tomatoes is the primary distinction between a tomato rasam and a traditional rasam.The use of tamarind and not other ingredients gives a traditional South Indian rasam recipe its sour flavour.
Cumin, mustard seeds, black pepper, garlic, curry leaves, coriander leaves, and tamarind are the spices that we use in the rasam recipe since they aid in digestion as well as in the treatment of colds. It is better to consume it during the frigid winters or if you have a cough or cold.
Rasam can be consumed as a drink or as a soup. Additionally, it can be served with steamed rice, a side vegetable dish, and sambar. Along with rasam, you can eat idli or vada. Now that we know what is rasam, let us discuss how to make rasam.
Ingredients of rasam
- Soak tamarind
- Cumin seeds
- Black pepper
- Garlic cloves
- Red chilli
- 2 tsp of oil
- Rai and jeera
- Karepak and asafoetida
- Tamarind pulp
- Rasam powder
How to make rasam recipe :
1. Soak tamarind in hot water and keep aside for 30 minutes. Once the tamarind gets soft, squeeze the tamarind pulp for later
2. Mix cumin seeds, black pepper, garlic cloves and whole red chilli in a mixer grinder and grind till half smooth consistency.
3. Do not add water to the dry mixture. You can increase the quantity of ingredients and refrigirate the powder for upto 5 days.
4. In a hot pan add 2 tsp of oil, some rai and jeera. Once the rai starts cracking add whole red chillies, karepak and asafoetida.
5. Fry until it leaves aroma, then add the tamarind pulp [ if you are following tomato rasam recipe add in tomato puree with tamarind pulp]. Add some rasam powder, and mix well.
6. Leave the mixture to simmer for 5 minutes. Garnish with some coriander leaves and serve hot as a soup or with rice.
Now that we have discussed the delicious secret of andhra restaurant, that is the rasam recipe there are no excuses left. Eat this delicious South Indian delicacy with this easy tomato rasam recipe. Kritunga Restaurant is the best andhra restaurant in the city with delicious rasam the Andhra style.